Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tasty Tuesdays: Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

We are committed to a healthy, preservative free, whole food way of life. That means we cook every meal and every snack for every single day! Since I spend so much time in the kitchen I have a ton of recipes and tricks to make it easier. Thus we begin- Tasty Tuesdays! Where I share a good recipe I found or a tip that makes cooking with two kids under my feet a happier, smoother experience.

For me , and I'm pretty sure everyone else, Fall=Soup and Butternut Squash and Apple Harvest Soup is one of my favorites. It goes together quickly and is great leftover too!

Add caption

I originally found the recipe on my All Recipes app but have made a few changes to make it fit our whole foods lifestyle and dietary needs- omitting the wine and light cream and use a homemade stock. Even without the cream the soup is still smooth and creamy, however with the homemade stock I find it needs more salt. Since I chop up the leeks, onion and carrots at the beginning of the week I can have this dinner on the table in about 30 minutes. If you find yourself with extra time definitely try roasting the squash- it really makes for a completely different but still amazing flavor!



Ingredients
2 tablespoons of butter
2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only)- chopped
1 large onion- diced
1 large potato- cut into 1/4 inch cubes
2 cups of cubed butternut squash ( I can find frozen cubed raw squash)
1 cup carrots-diced
1 Granny Smith Apple 
I quart of stock
1/4 cup of dry white wine
1/2 c light cream
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
chopped chives for garnish

Directions
1.  Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in leeks and onions, and cook until onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add potato, squash, carrots, apple and stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. 

2.  Carefully puree the soup in batches in a blender, or use a stick blender to puree the soup right in the pot. Once the soup has been pureed, return it to the pot and stir in wine and cream. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper, simmer gently for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped chives. 

Buon Appetito!
Erin



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs