Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Ratatouille

Let's be clear I am no chef. I would at best categorize myself as a good "nap time" cook. Meaning I whip up dinner as much as I can while the kiddos nap. The Wildman is just too wild and curious for me to be wielding  a chopping knife while he is awake! Today's recipe fits the bill perfectly, I complete the chopping and dicing during nap time and am ready to go. For full disclosure this is not my recipe I got it from my mama and I'm not sure what cookbook it came from- but it sure is yummy!

With all of this goodness how could it be bad?

Ratatouille

2 zucchini cut lengthwise and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small eggplant cut into 1/2-inch pieces (peeling is optional and and I opt not to- why do the extra work?)
2 red peppers cut into 1/2-inch pieces seeds removed
2 medium onions peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 (15 ounce) can organic diced tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of fresh thyme, finely diced
1/4 cup of parsley, chopped
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of vegetable stock (possibly)
salt and pepper


  • Sprinkle the eggplant lightly with 1 teaspoon sea salt and place in a strainer. Set aside for 10 minutes. After eggplant has rested, rinse off with water.
  • In an 8-inch sauce pan heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add eggplant to the pan when oil is hot. Slightly brown eggplant and remove from pan and set aside. 
  • Add the zucchini and let brown slightly, remove from pan and set aside.
  • Add the red peppers until they soften. Remove from pan and set aside.
  • Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the onions until soft, and then add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
  • Add the tomatoes. Cook another 5 minutes. 
  • Add the eggplant, zucchini and peppers and simmer for 20 minutes. If necessary, add 1 cup of vegetable stock. Finally add your herbs and season with cracked pepper and pinch of sea salt. Simmer for another 10 minutes. 

From beginning to end dinner is on the table in about 45 minutes, with pre-chopping only about 35 minutes. I'm not a huge fan of leftovers but since we are a small family they are pretty much inevitable. So I love it when a dish is just as good the next day and this one is. It still has all of the color and flavor so all I have to do is add fresh parsley to it and dinner is re-served!

I meant to take pictures of it completed but everyone was so hungry it was on the table and we were digging in before I even thought about it!

Happy Day!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs